Black Forest Genealogy

Stadtkreis Baden-Baden

 

Search For Villages in Stadtkreis Baden Baden

The communities are listed alphabetically and can be accessed by selecting the correct letter below.

A B C D E
F G H I J
K L M N O
P Q R S T
U V W Y Z

Baden Baden

Geography:
This well known "Spa City" is located 70 kilometers west of Stuttgart, 30 kilometers south, southwest of Karlsruhe and 40 kilometers northeast of Strasbourg, Alsace, France. With 51,000 inhabitants in 1986, Baden-Baden covers an area of 140 square kilometers, including the acquired towns and villages.
Set in a wooded valley of the northern Black Forest, Baden-Baden sits atop the extensive underground hot springs. The name Baden-Baden, meaning the town of Baden in the State of Baden was adopted to differentiate the town from another spa town, Baden-bei-Wien, near Vienna. Merkel Mountain, with elevations of 2,000 feet is located two miles east of the city. The Oos Creek (called Oos) runs through the center of town.

History:
The Roman legions of the emperor Caracella, discovered the springs when they settled there in the 1st century and called the place, Aquae. It was rediscovered by the nobility of Europe in the 19th century and became the most elegant and sophisticated play grounds in all of Europe, with splendid spas, a magnificent palace and the oldest casino in Germany.
Mark Twain, writing of his visit to Baden-Baden wrote "I fully believe I left my rhematism there". The waters Mr. Twain talks about are those of "Friedrichsbad", also know as the old baths. Built from 1869 to 1877 at the request of Grand Duke Friedrich von Baden.
The Spielbank", the oldest gambling casino in Germany was designed more than 140 years ago in the style of those in an elegant French chateau.
Through the area Reformation Act of the 1970's Baden-Baden's size increased with the acquisition of the town of Steinbach and the villages of Ebersteinburg, Fremersberg, Gallenbach, Haueneberstein, Nägelsförst, Neuweier, Sandweier, Schneckenbach, Umweg and Varnhalt.
Earlier acquisitions were Lichtental (1909), Oos (sometimes called Baden-Oos) (1928), and Balg (1939). Other locations in Baden-Baden are Geroldsau, Malschbach, Nothausen, Oberbeuern, Ooscheuern (sometimes called Scheuern), and Yberg

Information Sources:
Catholic (originals)
birth and baptism: 1689 to present
marriages: 1689-1751, 1756 to present
death and burial: 1689 to present

Evangelical-Lutheran
birth and baptism: 1832-1962
marriages: 1832-1961
death and burial: 1832-1945
death and burial: 1947-1960

Census Information, on microfilm called "Seelenstand" 1765, 1782, 1796/7

Karl Becker: "Eine Seelenliste der Pfarrei Stiftskirche zu Baden-Baden aus dem Jahre 1765", in: "Archiv für Sippenforschung", vol. 18 (1941), p. 152-156, 176-182, 198-202, 227-231

Links:

Balg

Geography:
This very small village covers only three square kilometers. Balg is about five kilometers from the city of Baden-Baden. The inhabitants in 1986 were 1,200.

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic
birth and baptism: 1787-1921
marriages: 1787-1920
death and burial: 1785-1921
confirmation: 1820
family registry: 1870-1917

Links:

Ebersteinberg

Geography:
The village of Ebersteinberg is located about four kilometers from Baden-Baden and is only five square kilometers in size. There are approximately 1,000 residents.

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic
birth, marriages and deaths: 1810 - 1869

Links:

Fremersberg

Geography:
Located just 5 kilometers south of the railway station in the city of Baden-Baden, Fremersberg consist of a very few buildings at the base of Fremersberg Mountain.
Fremersberg is also noted for being the smallest resort town in Baden.

History:
The residents in the vineyard district of Fremersberg enjoyed a magnificent view from Fremersberg mountain of the tops of the Black Forest mountains and the vineyards and wine villages clear down to the tobacco land of the Rhein valley. Viewing towers were, in the 1800's, very popular. The Black Forest Union. who allied itself with the tourist offices for the development of the Black Forest as a hiking and convalescence region, built such viewing towers.
On the western over hang of Fremersberg Mountain once stood the Altenburg Castle. The vineyards were in the possession of the Margrave of Baden in the 15th century. Later they became the property of the Jesuits. A franciscan cloister, named Kloesterle, stood on the southern slope from 1426 until 1826.
On Fremersberg Mountain there is a lower strata of new red sandstone that is considered the most valuable vine soil in all of Baden. The best types of Rieslings thrive there.
Fremersberg belongs to the village of Gallenbach, which itself belongs to Varnhalt. All of these villages now are part of the city of Baden-Baden.

Information Sources:
Parish records of Varnhalt, including Gallenbach and Fremersberg, were recorded in Steinbach. The records available are birth, marriage and death for the years 1696 to 1909. Since 1810 these records are in separate registers under each town's name.

Links: See Black Forest Legends

Gallenbach

Geography:
The small village of Gallenbach is located about five and one-half kilometers south of the railway station in the city of Baden-Baden. Gallenbach belongs to the village of Varnhalt. Both of these villages are now part of the city of Baden-Baden due to the Reformation act of the 1970's.

History:

Information Sources:
Parish records of Varnhalt, including Gallenbach and Fremersberg, were recorded in Steinbach. The records available are; birth, marriage and death for the years 1696 to 1909.

Links:

Geroldsau

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Haueneberstein

Geography:
Located only two kilometers north west of the village of Balg and five kilometers north of the city of Baden-Baden. Often called "Bad Haueneberstein", the village covers nine square kilometers and has 3,600 inhabitants.

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic:
birth and baptism: 1740-1866
marriage: 1734-1900
death and burial: 1723-1808
death and burial: 1810-1900
confirmation: 1889
family registry: 1752-1917

Links:

Lichtental

Geography:
Located only two kilometers south of the railway station of Baden-Baden, Lichtental covers a small area of only ten square kilometers. In 1986, there were 7,600 inhabitants in this village

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic
birth, marriage and deaths: 1809-1869

Civil
births: 1916-1954
births: 1958-1961
marriages: 1916-1954
marriages: 1958-1961
death and burial: 1916-1954
death and burial: 1958-1961

Jewish
birth, marriages and deaths: 1812-1870

Links:

Malschbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Nägelsforst

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Neuweier

Geography:
The village of Neuweier is located five kilometers south west of Baden-Baden. The 2,000 inhabitants live within six square kilometers.

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic
birth, marriages and deaths: 1810-1900
Family registry: 1834, 1842, 1868

Links:

Nothausen

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Oberbeuern

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Oos (Baden Oos)

Geography:
Sometimes also called Baden-Oos, this tiny village is located on the plain of the upper Rhein River directly around the railway station in the city of Baden-Baden. Covering an area of thirteen square kilometers, Oos, has a population of 6,300 inhabitants.

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic (originals)
birth and baptism: 1748-to the present
birth and baptism: 1726-1748 recorded in Haueneberstein
marriages: 1748-to the present
marriages: 1728-1748 recorded in Haueneberstein
death and burial: 1748-to the present
death and burial: 1728-1748 recorded in Haueneberstein

Catholic (LDS microfilms)
birth and baptism: 1748-1751
birth and baptism: 1852-1887
birth and baptism: 1888-1941
typoscript index: 1785-1827
manuscript index: 1828-1851
marriages: 1748-1900
death and burial: 1748-1824
death and burial: 1825-1922
typoscript index: 1748-1824

Herman Kraemer: "Aus der Vergangenheit und Gegenwart des Dorfes Baden-Oos", Baden-Baden 1928

Researchers in this area:
http://www.kastners.info
Surnames: Ernst, Kastner, Knörr, Schuch, Schuh

rbelleng@i2k.com
Surnames: Bühlinger, Lorenz

Links:

Oosscheuern (Scheuern)

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Sandweier

Geography:
Located on the plain of the upper Rhein River about two kilometers north of the railway station in the city of Baden-Baden, Sandweier covers 13 square kilometers.
In 1905 the village had 1,598 inhabitants, among these were 1,590 catholics and 8 evangelical parishioners. There were 3,900 residents in 1986.

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic (LDS microfilms)
birth and baptisms: 1679-1712
birth and baptisms: 1718-1908
marriages: 1692-1698
marriages: 1703-1711
marriages: 1719-1920
death and burial: 1693-1710
death and burial: 1722-1785 (with index)
death and burial: 1786-1888
communion: 1842-1881
confirmation: 1843-1852, 1863, 1889, 1896
other records: Schmalholz genealogy

Guido Müller, Karl Bruckner: " Sandweier - Ein Hardtdorf und seine Bevölkerung in Vergangenheit und Gegenwart", Baden-Baden 1988

Researchers in this area:
Researching: Baureidel (Baureitel, Bauriedel), Beckert, Braunnagel (Brunagel), Burckert (Burkart, Burkert, Burkhart), Byrck, Chares, Dannier, Daul, Desler (Dessler), Depfler, Eichelberger (Aichelberger, Aychelberger, Eigelberger), Findling (Fündling), Franck (Frank), Grazer, Karies (Karius), Kratzer (Krazer), Lorenz (Lorentz), Pang, Pflieger (Pfliger), Pfündtling, Rauch, Raug, Reis (Reus, Reyß, Rihs, Ris, Rys), Reißer, Schäfer, Schaerter, Scheffer, Schuester, Schwall, Schulz (Schultz), Seiler, Sigil, Taul, Walter, Zeitvogel.

Links:
http://www.kastners.info

Schneckenbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Steinbach

Geography:
This small village covers an area of only 12 square kilometers. As of 1986, there were 3,200 residents. The location of Steinbach is only seven kilometers south, southwest of Baden-Baden.

History:
Steinbach was chartered as a town and authorized to hold a weekly market in 1258. It is surrounded by walls and embankments. Early on the town belonged to Baden, and its status as the administrative seat of that margraviate greatly influenced its architectural development. This is still visible in the preserved historic structures of the town.
The area has maintained prosperity due to its healthy mix of agriculture (including orchards and wine growing), skilled trades, handicrafts, commerce and small manufacturing businesses. Stonecutting was cited as one long-time business. The town has a widespread reputation for its quality millstones; there is even a millstone in the town coat of arms.
Although there are low-yield coal beds nearby, they generally fell into disuse between 1775 and 1855, being mined only a few times.
On one promontory, from which one can even see the tip of the cathedral in Strasbourg, the citizens built a heroic memorial statue of Erwin von Steinbach. It honors the builder of the cathedral as a hometown son of Steinbach (even though this claim has never been convincingly documented). The Erwin Statue is the work of Strassbourg sculptor Andreas Friedrich, who left behind many of his workshop's products throughout central Baden. He presented the Erwin Statue as a gift to the People of Steinbach. The solemn dedication speech for the statue was made on August, 29, 1845, by a Dr. Walchner, a prominent local physician. On August 31, 1845, at the invitation of the Masonic Lodge in Strasbourg, a large delegation of Freemasons from all over Germany, France and Switzerland came to join in the dedication festivities, and to use the occasion as a celebration of the solidarity as well as to pay homage to their fellow Mason, Erwin von Steinbach.

Information Sources:

Surnames extracted from church records in Steinbach:
Baker, Bauer, Beyer, Bierenbreyer, Bilger, Bintz, Blod, Blum, Breyl, Burbele, Burck, Colson, Claus, Deissler, Dischinger, Doll, Dressel, Droll, Dyhl, Eberle, Eckerle, Eckstein, Ehemann, Ehereisser, Eissel, Ernst, Fantz, Fischer, Franck, Friedmann, Freitsch, Fritz, Gartner, Garthner, Geiger, Gerber, Goring, Graf, Graff, Greiss, Haasel, Hagemayer, Hagenunger, Harbrecht, Harprecht, Heinig, Heitzman, Hellfritz, Henn, Hennhofer, Hettler, Herr, Himmel, Hoch, Hochstuhl, Hord, Huchbunger, Huck, Hugg, Hurst, Ibach, Kamm, Katz, Katzemeyer, Kauffmann, Keller, Klipffel, Klump, Knopff, Kobele, Korbel, Kraus, Krumb, Krummholtz, Kust, Lambrecht, Lambrect, Lamprect, Lambrecht, Lang, Leppert, Liebig, Lorentz, Ludwig, Mast, Maushard, Mayer, Mertz, Meyer, Miller, Moser, Muller, Mussler, Murb, Nagel, Nesselhauff, Ochs, Oser, Peter, Pfefferle, Pfeiffer, Rapp, Reck, Reiss, Reisser, Rheinbold, Roth, Schatzel, Schaub, Schauff, Schauffler, Schickinger, Schill, Schmahlholtz, Schmaltz, Schmalz, Schmid, Schmitt, Schnizler, Schuler, Seiler, Seither, Senn, Seyler, Uhl, Urnauer, Veith, Velten, Velter, Volmer, Waldele, Walter, Walther, Weber, Weissland, Werck, Werner, Wurtz, Ybach, Zapffel, Zeigler, Zeller

Researchers in this area:
LPKnecht@aol.com

Links:

Umweg

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Varnhalt

Geography:
This small town is located at the base of the Y Mountains and located only eight kilometers north west of the District city of Buehl, and seven kilometers east of the spa city of Baden-Baden.

History:
Fremersberg belongs to the village of Gallenbach, which itself belongs to Varnhalt. All of these villages now are part of the city of Baden-Baden.

Originally the village is mentioned in 1479 as "Farnhalde". It did not profit from the nearby cal mines. In the quarries the stones were broken and used as millstones. In the 16th century the town was owned by the Schwarzach Monastery.
Varnhalt was and still is today a typical Baden wine growing community. The contract of the little wine village surrounded by the Y mountain, covered with yews and crowned by the "Yburg", the Y Castle, made the area a popular sight seeing spot in the early 1900's.
The first house in Varnhalt is called "Adler", which stands for eagle, is kept in the style of the early village. The fountain, in the village, is not for decoration only, but is still in use to get water, because there are no water pipes in Varnhalt yet.
There is a tradition in Varnhalt that has carried down from generation to generation for over 200 years. The last grape harvest of every growing season must be brought home by ox-cart., if not done, this last harvest will make the whole grape harvest into a sour, undrinkable wine.

Information Sources:
Parish records of Varnhalt, including Gallenbach and Fremersberg, were recorded in Steinbach. The records available are; birth, marriage and death for the years 1696 to 1909. Since 1810 these records are in separate registers under each town's name.

Catholic
birth, marriage and deaths: 1810-1870

Links: See Black Forest Legends

Yburg

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

 

Important Addresses:

LDS Archives for all of Germany
Kirche Jesu Christi der HLT
Abteilung Genealogie
Max - Planck - Str 239
61381 Friedrichsdorf

General Land Archives
Generallandesarchiv Karlsruhe
Nördliche Hildapromenade 2
76133 Karlsruhe

Archives for Baden Baden
Stadtarchiv Baden-Baden
Küferstr. 3
76530 Baden-Baden
Phone: +49 (7221) 93-2271


Post your information on this region here. Help us to help you and your fellow researchers. For more information direct your Inquiries to...
Email