Black Forest Genealogy

Ortenaukreis

 

Search For Villages in Ortenaukreis

The communities are listed alphabetically and can be accessed by selecting the correct letter below.

A B C D
E F G H
I-P
R-Z
Achern

Geography:
Achern lies at the geographic center of the former Grand Duchy of Baden. The Rhine Plain is to the west of the city, and the ascent to the Hornisgrinde begins to the east. The Hornisgrinde is the highest point in the north Black Forest at 1,164 meters, and is the point of origin of the Acher River which flows through the city. The area surrounding Achern is known for fruit and wine. The city is 22 km from Offenburg (the seat of government for Ortenaukreis), 58 km from Karlsruhe, and 80 km from Freiburg. The towns and villages of Fautenbach, Gamshurst, Grossweier, Mösbach, Oberachern, Önsbach, Sasbachried, and Wagshurst have been incorporated into Achern. The city has a population of about 22,500.

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Achern Catholic parish was formed in 1536. It was incorporated with Allerheiligen Cloister from 1673 to 1806, and was served by priests from the cloister until 1802. Achern Catholic parish records begin in 1673 (a fire destroyed earlier records in 1673). Records covering 1727 to 1900, as well as a two volume family book from 1837, are available through LDS family history centers. The parish of Oberachern is much older than Achern, and served as the Mother Church for the Acher Valley, which includes the city of Achern. See also Oberachern.

Illenau Institution Catholic parish -- The Catholic parish at Illenau Institution was established in 1845. Illenau Catholic parish records begin in 1861. Prior to 1861 records are included with Achern parish. Illenau's Catholic parish was discontinued in 1936.

Illenau Institution Evangelical parish -- The Evangelical parish at Illenau Institution was established in 1842. It also served the village of Bühl (Landkreis Rastaat) 1850-1854. The village of Renchen was also pastored by Illenau parish for a time. Illenau Lutheran records begin in 1861. Earlier entries can be found in Achern Catholic parish records. Illenau's Lutheran parish was discontinued in 1936.

Evangelical parish -- Achern's Evangelical parish was established in 1890, but had been served by pastors from Illenau Institution since 1852. Evangelical parish records begin in 1850, however, the years 1852-1861 are included with Achern Catholic parish records. After 1861, Achern's Evangelical records are recorded with Illenau Institution Evangelical parish. Records for Achern's Evangelical parish for 1892 through 1962 are available through LDS family history centers. They include the village of Renchen for 1890-1963. The parishes of Kappelrodeck and Ottenhöfen are affiliates of Achern Evangelical parish.

"Aus Kranken Tagen, Erinnerungen von Heinrich Hansjakob", published 1897 (reprinted 1993; ISBN 3-7946-0284-6)

"From the Sick Days, Remembrances of Heinrich Hansjakob"; this book details Hansjakob's days as a patient in Illenau Institution; German only.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Achern; Landkreis Bühl

Links:

Albersbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic affiliate parish -- Albersbach was a Catholic affiliate of Offenburg until 1787 when it became an affiliate of Weingarten. See Weingarten and Offenburg.

Links:

Allmansweier

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical parish -- Before the Reformation, Allmansweier was an affiliate of Ottenheim. In 1508, it was incorporated with Schuttern and pastored from Kürzell until 1582. It was then pastored from Wittenweier. 1638-1652 Allmansweier was pastored by Nonnenweier. 1677-1680 Nonnenweier and Wittenweier were with Allmansweier. The village of Ottenheim was part of Allmansweier parish for a time. Langenwinkel has been an affiliate of Allmansweier since 1856. Allmansweier Evangelical records begin 1647, and include a chronicle (Chronik) beginning in 1644. There is a family book beginning in 1740.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Lahr; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Albersbach (part of Offenburg)

Geography:

History

Information Sources:
Catholic records for Albersbach are included with the village of Weingarten. Weingarten is part of Zell-Weierbach, which is in turn part of the city of Offenburg. Weingarten Catholic records cover the years 1787-1900, and include a family book (Familienbuch). Weingarten's records also include the towns of Fessenbach and Zell-Weierbach. A seperate book has records for Albersbach from 1787 through 1881, and include a family book (Familienbuch) for those years.

Links:

Altdorf

Geography:

History

Information Sources:
Altdorf Catholic records cover the years 1740 through 1900, and include a family book (Familienbuch) from 1800. Jewish records cover the years 1810 through 1870.
Ortsippenbuch Altdorf: Stadt Ettenheim, Ortenaukreis in Baden,
by Albert Köbele, 1976. (Genealogical Register for Altdorf: City of Ettenheim)

Links:

Altdorf

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Altdorf Catholic parish is old. It was incorporated with Ettenheimmünster Cloister 1548-1742 as an affiliate pastored by Ettenheim. Altdorf Catholic records begin 1754, and include a family book from 1780. Earlier Altdorf entries are included in Ettenheim Catholic records. See Ettenheim.

Evangelical sources -- see Ettenheim

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Ettenheim; Landkreis Lahr Altdorf is now part of the city of Ettenheim

Links:

Altenheim

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical parish -- Altenheim Evangelical parish is very old. It became Lutheran in 1557. The village of Dundenheim was an affiliate of Altenheim. Altenheim church books start 1634, and begin with extractions from church books for Ichenheim and an older Altenheim church book.

Catholic sources -- Altenheim Catholics were served by the parish of Müllen. See Müllen.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Offenburg; Landkreis Bühl

Links:

Altfreistett see Freistett

Links:

Antogast (Bad)

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Antogast (Bad) belongs to the district (Gemeinde) Maisach and parish Oppenau. See Maisach and Oppenau.

Links:

Appenweier

Geography:
Appenweier is situated on the Rhine Plane in north central Ortenaukreis. The landscape is mostly flat, with vineyards, forests, and streams. The elevation ranges from 147 meters to 392 meters above sea level. The city is 10 km from Offenburg (the county seat), 65 km from Karlsruhe, and 70 km from Freiburg. Appenweier has a population of about 9,400, which includes the towns of Nesselried, Urloffen, and Zimmern, which have been incorporated into the city.

History:
Appenweier is the oldest town in Ortenaukreis. It is first mentioned historically in the year 884.
The city has an impressive Baroque Rathaus (city hall), Fachwerk (timbered) houses in typical Allemanic style, and St. Michael parish church is touted to be the most beautiful Rococo church in Middle Baden.
St. Michael Church was built in 1750 from the plans of Franz Iganz Kohmer. The tower, choir, and nave were constructed by Johann Ellemenreich. The interior has many beautiful features, including twin side altars by Heinrich Lihl, the main altar by Johan Pfunner, and the depiction of Mary's Ascension painted on the ceiling by Bernhard Gambs.
The city has a diverse industrial base, and also a thriving wine industry. The area is also known for brewing schnapps. Tourism is also an important part of the local economy. Appenweier hosts 16,000 overnight visitors annually.
The neighboring towns of Nesselried, Urloffen, and Zimmern have been incorporated into Appenweier. The town of Urloffen is known as "The Horseradish Town".

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Appenweier is an old parish. It was incorporated with Allerheiligen Cloister and pastored from there. The parish was Lutheran 1521-1547. The village of Nesselried was an affiliate of Appenweier until 1891. Appenweier Catholic records begin as follows -- baptisms 1654 (no gaps), marriages 1654 (gaps 1713-1726), and deaths 1653 (gaps 1713-1726 and 1748-1758). Records for 1654-1900, as well as family books for 1650 and 1888-1900, are available through LDS family history centers.

Evangelical sources -- Appenweier's Lutheran population is served by the Evangelical parish of Renchen, which was established in 1929. See Renchen.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Offenburg; Landkreis Kehl

Links:

Auenheim

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical parish -- Auenheim is a very old parish. It became Lutheran in 1560. Until 1716 Leutesheim was an affiliate of Auenheim. Auenheim church books begin as follows -- baptisms 1561, marriages 1562, and deaths 1589 for Auenheim and Leutesheim. There is also a family book starting in 1837

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Kehl; Landkreis Kehl

Links:

Berghaupten

Geography:
Berghaupten is located on the Kinzig River south of Offenburg, the seat of government for Ortenaukreis. It is at the approximate center of Ortenaukreis. Elevation ranges from 160 meters to 450 meters above sea level. The landscape includes forest and streams. Berghaupten has a population of about 2,300.

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Berghaupten was originally an affiliate of Zunsweier, but became an parish in its own right in 1540. It was then again an affiliate of Zunsweier until 1736. Part of Wingerbach belongs to Berghaupten parish. Berghaupten church records begin in 1736. Records covering 1736-1900 are available through LDS branch family history centers. Earlier Berghaupten records can be found in Zunsweier and Gengenbach.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Gengenbach; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Bermersbach

Geography:
Bermersbach is located on the southwestern side of the Kinzig River in the heart of Ortenaukreis. The surrounding area is covered with forest and vineyards. The town has been incorporated into the city of Gengenbach. The city of Gengenbach has a population of 11,000.

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic affiliate -- Bermersbach is an affiliate of Gengenbach Catholic parish. Gengenbach church records begin in 1587. See Gengenbach

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Gengenbach; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Biberach

Geography:
Biberach is located in south central Ortenaukreis. Elevation ranges from 190 meters to 640 meters above sea level. The landscape includes forest and fruit growing areas. The Kinzig River flows past the town. The ruins of the Castle Hohengeroldseck are to the west of the town. Biberach has city walls. The town has a population of about 3,000.

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Biberach Catholic parish was formed in 1618. Zell am Harmersbach was the Mother Church for Biberach and Nordrach. It was an affiliate of Gengenbach until 1708. Biberach was an affiliate of Zell am Harmersbach until 1618 and again from 1721 to 1730. Since 1730, Biberach has been an independent parish. Biberach Catholic parish records begin in 1730. Records covering the years 1715-1900, including a family book from 1800, can be obtained through local LDS family history centers. Earlier records are probably with Zell am Harmersbach and Gengenbach. See Gengenbach and Zell am Harmersbach.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Gengenbach; Landkreis Wolfach

Links:

Birach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic affiliate -- The village of Birach is under the jurisdiction of Unterharmersbach. Unterharmersbach is an affiliate of Zell am Harmersbach. See Zell am Harmersbach .

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Gengenbach; Landkreis Wolfach

Links:

Bodersweier

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical parish-- Bodersweier Evangelical parish is old. It became Lutheran in 1560. The village of Zierolshofen is part of the parish. The village of Linx was pastored from Bodersweier 1641-1654 and 1687-1701. Bodersweier Evangelical church records begin in 1623. There are gaps in the records 1700-1704. A fire in 1622 destroyed earlier records, and in 1703 French troops damaged records. There is a family book since 1818. There is also a Seelbuch from 1507 for Bodersweier and Zierolshofen.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Kehl; Landkreis Kehl

Links:

Bohlsbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Bohlsbach Catholic parish was established in 1790. Prior to 1790 the parish belonged to Offenburg's Catholic parish. Bohlsbach Catholic records begin in 1790. Records for 1790-1900, including a family book, can be obtained through LDS branch family history centers. For earlier records, see Offenburg.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Offenburg; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Bollenbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic sources -- Bollenbach is an affiliate of Steinach. See Steinach

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Wolfach; Landkreis Wolfach

Links:

Bottenau (Durbach)

Information Sources:
Bottenau is part of Durbach Catholic parish. See Durbach.

Links:

Bottenau (Nussbach)

Information Sources:
Bottenau is part of Nussbach Catholic parish. See Nussbach.

Links:

Brandmatt (Sasbachwalden)

Information Sources:
Brandmatt is part of Sasbachwalden. See Sasbachwalden.

Links:

Bühl (Offenburg)

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Bühl Catholic parish is very old. The village of Weier was an affiliate of Bühl until 1789. During the 17th century, the village of Griesheim was at times an affiliate of Bühl. Bühl Catholic parish records begin in 1613 (no gaps), and include a family book since 1780.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Offenburg; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Bühlweg

Information Sources:
See Ortenberg.

Links:

Burgheim

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical sources -- Burgheim was an Evangelical affiliate of Lahr until the village of Burgheim was incorporated into city of Lahr in 1869, making it also part of Lahr's parish. See Lahr.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Burgheim was incorporated into the city of Lahr in 1869.

Links:

Butschbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic affiliate-- Butschbach is an affiliate of Oberkirch. The village of Hesselbach (Oberkirch) is part of Butschbach. Some earlier records may appear in Nussbach. See Oberkirch and Nussbach.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Oberkirch; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Dautenstein

Information Sources:
Dautenstein is a hamlet belonging to Seelbach (Lahr). See Seelbach (Lahr).

Links:

Diersburg

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical parish -- Diersburg Evangelical parish was originally a Catholic affiliate of Oberschopfheim. Oberschopfheim and Diersburg were together in the very old parish of "Leutkirche" until 1655. This parish became Lutheran in 1525 (under the authority of the ruling Roeder family). In 1655, Oberschopfheim again became Catholic. Lutherans from Diersburg came under the authority of the Friesenheim Evangelical parish until 1676, and then under the authority of the Kippenheim Evangelical parish. The village of Niederschopfheim was part of Diersburg parish. The village of Gengenbach was part of Diersburg parish until 1858. The village of Hofweier is part of Diersburg parish. The Diersburg Evangelical parish was established in 1767. Diersburg Evangelical records begin in 1768, and include a supplemental listing of additional baptisms back to 1682 and marriages and deaths back to 1758. Until 1728, Diersburg records are contained in Ichenheim Evangelical parish books. From 1728-1765, Diersburg records are contained in Kippenheim Evangelical parish books. See Ichenheim and Kippenheim.

Jewish records -- The Standesbücher (registry books) for Jews cover 1813-1860.

Catholic parish -- Diersburg was an affiliate of Oberschopfheim (as it was before the Reformation) until Diersburg Catholic parish was created in 1864. Diersburg Catholic records begin in 1810 and include a family book. See Oberschopfheim.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Offenburg; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:Area Map

Diersheim

Geography:

History:
Diersheim was incorporated into the newly created city of Rheinau January 1, 1975, along with the villages of Freistett, Hausgereut, Helmlingen, Holzhausen, Honau, Linx, Memprechtshofen, and Rheinbischofsheim.

Information Sources:
Evangelical parish -- Diersheim Evangelical parish was created in 1732. It was a Catholic parish until the Reformation. After changing to Lutheranism, Diersheim became an affiliate of Rheinbischofsheim until 1732. Diersheim Evangelical records begin in 1732, and include a family book from 1819. See Rheinbischofsheim.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Kehl; Landkreis Kehl

Links:

Dinglingen

Information Sources:
see Lahr (Lahr-Dinglingen parish)

Links:

Dörlinbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish curate -- Dörlinbach has been a Catholic parish curate since 1936. It was an affiliate of Schweighausen until 1913, and then an affiliate of Schuttertal until 1936. Dörlinbach Catholic church records begin in 1810. See Schweighausen and Schuttertal.

Evangelical sources -- see Lahr

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Lahr; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Döttelbach

Information Sources:
see Peterstal (Bad)-Griesbach

Links:

Dundenheim

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical affiliate -- Dundenheim is an Evangelical affiliate of Ichenheim. Dundenheim was formerly an affiliate of Kippenheim. See Ichenheim and Kippenheim

Catholic affiliate -- Dundenheim has been a Catholic affiliate of Ichenheim since 1803. Before the Reformation, Dundenheim was an affiliate of Altenheim, and then an affiliate of Ichenheim until 1792. From 1792-1803, Dundenheim was a parish. See Altenheim, Ichenheim, and Kürzell.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Offenburg; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Durbach

Geography:
Durbach is located at the heart of Ortenaukries, just 7 km north of Offenburg - the seat of Ortenaukreis government. The village has a population of about 3,800, and is located on the edge of the Rhine Plain and the foothills of the Black Forest. Elevation ranges from 200 meters to 890 meters above sea level. Durbach is known for its wines. Fifteen varieties of grapes are grown in the area. The 11th Century Schloss Stauffenberg (Castle Stauffenberg) towers above the village, affording a view to the west of the Rhine Plain and the Vosges Mountains in France. Durbach is 70 km from Freiburg and 75 km from Karlsruhe.

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Durbach Catholic parish was established in 1655. Earlier the parish was part of Offenburg. Nussbach was the Mother Church for Durbach and several other villages. From 1557- 1655 the parish was Lutheran. The villages of Bottenau (Nussbach), Hohenberg, Oberweiler, and Sendelbach are part of Durbach parish. The area of Nesselried formerly called Ober-Nesselried once belonged to Durbach parish. Durbach Catholic records begin in 1655. Records covering 1655-1900 are available through local LDS branch family history centers. See Offenburg.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Offenburg; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Ebersweier

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Ebersweier Catholic parish was established in 1687. Nussbach was the Mother Church for Ebersweier and several other villages. Ebersweier was earlier an affiliate of Offenburg, and at times was pastored from Windschläg. Ebersweier Catholic records begin in 1687. 17th century baptisms and marriages are included in Offenburg Catholic records. See Offenburg

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Offenburg; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Eckhartsweier

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical parish -- Eckhartsweier Evangelical parish is old. Wilstätt was the Mother church for Eckhartsweier, Hesselhurst, and Hohnhurst. The village of Hohnhurst is an affiliate of Eckhartsweier. The village of Hesselhurst was an affiliate until 1776. Eckhartsweier Evangelical records begin in 1635, and include Hesselhurst until 1765.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Kehl; Landkreis Kehl

Links:

Einbach (Wolfach)

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic affiliate -- Einbach is a Catholic affiliate of Hausach. See Hausach and Haslach im Kinzigtal.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Wolfach; Landkreis Wolfach

Links:

Elgersweier

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Elgersweier Catholic parish was established in 1811. Earlier it was an affiliate of Offenburg. Beginning in 1790, Elgersweier had its own priest. Elgersweier Catholic records begin in 1786. Records for 1768-1900, including a family book for 1827-1887, are available through LDS branch family history centers. Earlier records are included with Offenburg. See Offenburg.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Offenburg; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Erlach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Erlach Catholic parish was established in 1852 with the village of Stadelhofen (until 1883). Ulm (Offenburg) was the Mother Church for Erlach and many other villages. Earlier the area of Erlach right of the Rench River was an affiliate of Ulm (Offenburg). The area of Erlach left of the Rench River was an affiliate of Nussbach. Prior to the Thirty Years' War, Erlach was a parish with the village of Tiergarten as an affiliate. Erlach Catholic records begin in 1811. See Ulm (Offenburg) for earlier records. See also Nussbach.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Oberkirch; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Eschau

Information Sources:
see Weiler-Fischerbach

Links:

Ettenheim

Geography:
The city of Ettenheim is located in southwestern Ortenaukreis on the Rhein Plain. Elevation ranges from 190 meters to 312 meters above sea level. The villages of Altdorf, Ettenheimweiler, Ettenheimmünster, Münchweier, and Wallburg are now part of the city of Ettenheim, giving the city a combined population of about 11,000. Ettenheim was founded about 700 A.D. It was granted status as a free city (Stadtrecht) in the 12th century.

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Ettenheim's Catholic parish is very old, and served as the Mother church for Altdorf, Grafenhausen, Ringsheim, and Kappel am Rhein.. Ettenheimweiler is an affiliate of Ettenheim. Wallburg was an affiliate until 1761. Ettenheim Catholic church records begin 1583 (holes in baptisms 1588-1598, 1664-1665; marriages and deaths 1670-1686). Records for 1583-1907, as well as family books from 1822 and 1900, are available through LDS branch family history centers.

Evangelical affiliate -- Ettenheim was made an affiliate of Schmieheim in 1952. From 1844 -1880 and 1900-1952 it was an affiliate of Mahlberg. From 1880-1900 it was an affiliate of Kippenheim. Ettenheim Evangelical affiliate also includes the villages of Altdorf, Ettenheimmünster, and Münchweier. Ettenheim Evangelical records for 1879-1962 are available through LDS branch family history centers.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Ettenheim; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Ettenheimmünster

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Ettenheimmünster Catholic parish is very old. It served as a Cloister parish until 1803. Ettenheimmünster Catholic records begin as follows -- baptisms 1648, marriages 1650, deaths 1676. They also include the village of Altdorf until 1750. Records for 1564-1900, including the village of Altdorf, Münchweier, and Wallburg, are available from LDS branch family history centers.

Evangelical sources -- See Ettenheim.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Ettenheim; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Ettenheimweiler

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Ettenheimweiler Catholic affiliate -- Ettenheimweiler is a Catholic affiliate of Ettenheim. Ettenheimweiler Catholic records for 1810-1900 are available through LDS branch family history centers. See Ettenheim.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Ettenheim; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Fautenbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Fautenbach Catholic records cover the years 1724 through 1900.

Links:

Fessenbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Fessenbach Catholic records are included with Weingarten. Weingarten Catholic records cover the years 1787 through 1900, and include a family book (Familienbuch). Weingarten records also include the towns of Albersbach and Zell-Weierbach.

Links:

Fischerbach

Geography:
Fischerbach is a small village located in southeastern Ortenaukreis near Steinach and Hausach. It is surrounded by forest. Elevation ranges from 220 meters to 930 meters above sea level. Nearby Brandenkopf is 934 meters above sea level. Fischerbach has a population of about 1,600.

History:

Information Sources:
Fischerbach Catholic records are with Weiler. Weiler Catholic church records cover the years 1696 through 1890. They include a family book (Familienbuch) from about 1800.

Links:

Friesenheim

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Friesenheim Catholic records cover the years 1664 through 1962. They include a family book for the years 1598 through 1680. Friesenheim was formerly an affiliate of Ichenheim, Kippenheim, and Lahr parishes.
Evangelical parish -- Freistett Evangelical parish was established in 1579. 1559-1579 Freistett was an affiliate of Rheinbischofsheim. Ulm (Offenburg) was the Mother Church for Freistett and other villages. Neufreistett is an affiliate of Freistett Evangelical parish, and Memprechtshofen (Landkreis Rastaat) was an affiliate until 1792 and then again 1805-1841. Freistett Evangelical church records begin 1621, and include Memprechtshofen until 1792.

Jewish sources -- Jewish Standesbuch for Neufreistett 1833-1870.

"Geschichte von Freistett und Neufreistett" by A. Leitz, 1890
"History of Freistett and Neufreistett", German language only.
Ortssippenbuch Friesenheim, by Adolf Gänshirt with contributions from Klaus Siefer and Erich Reinbhold 1986 (Genealogy Register for the Village of Friesenheim)

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Kehl; Landkreis Kehl

Furschenbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Furschenbach Catholic records are included with Ottenhöfen. Ottenhöfen records cover the years 1824 through 1900. They include an Ottenhöfen family book (Familienbuch) from 1838 and a Furschenbach family book (Familienbuch) from 1840.

Links:

Gaisbach (Oberkirch)

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Gamshurst Catholic parish is old. It was originally part of Oberachern (the Mother Church of the Acher Valley), and was at times an affiliate of Sasbach. Gamshurst Catholic records start 1655. There are gaps in marriage records 1661-1663 and 1770-1786. There are gaps in death records 1659-1663. Gamshurst records covering 1655-1900, including a family book 1826-1900, are available from LDS branch family history centers. A second family book covering 1879-1950 has not been microfilmed. Also available is a "Hubgericht" book, which contains miscellaneous genealogical and emigration information about the citizens of Gamshurst.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Achern; Landkreis Bühl

Links:

Gamshurst

Geography:
The village of Gamshurst is located northwest of the city of Achern in the Rhine plane. The landscape is flat with mixed forests. The Acher River flows along the village. Gamshurst's population was about 1,370 in 1990. The village was incorporated into the city of Achern in 1973.

History:
The village of Gamshurst is located on the banks of the Acher River near the geographical center of the old Grand Duchy of Baden. The yards of its homes reach to the banks of the river. The homes then run slightly to the northeast placing fields and meadow between the town and the Acher River.
The town is first mentioned historically in the year 900. In the 12th century the Bishop of Strassburg assigned his property in "Gameneshurst" to the cathedral at Strassburg.
The founding of Gamshurst parish is recorded in a document dated the Monday following St. Jacob's Day July 27, 1355. This document details the establishment of the parish under the authority of the Abbott at nearby Schuttern Abbey. Prior to the formation of Gamshurst parish, the town was part of Sasbach parish.
The Gamshurst parish church, built in 1355, is named St. Nicholas in honor of the patron saint against floods. Gamshurst suffered heavily from flooding until the Acher River was corrected. A chapel existed on the site of the church prior to 1355 and the formation of Gamshurst parish. St. Nicholas Church was surrounded by a walled cemetery. About the year 1500, a new church was erected.
Apparently, Gamshurst survived the 30 Years' War (1618-1648) unscathed, unlike many towns in the region. The village was not as fortunate when French and Austrian troops battled there in 1675. The French General Turenne encamped his troops along the left side of the Acher River, extending from the edge of the village to the parish church. On July 20, 1675, battle began between the troops of General Turenne and Captain Chevureulles. They fought behind the walls and in the churchyard. Captain Chevureulles was captured, and his troops killed. The church was burned. General Turenne spent the next two nights in the Gamshurst church parsonage, before leaving July 26, 1675, to confront Austrian troops near Sasbach, where he was killed in battle.
Gamshurst was rebuilt between 1706 and 1711. It had taken many years to recover from French occupation. The noise of war again echoed through the region during the Spanish War of Succession (1701-1714), contributing to the delay in reconstruction.
French troops were again in control of the area when they attacked Gamshurst on May 14, 1800, in order to destroy a tower which had been built there. The residents of the village suffered from famine and fatigue during this time. Until 1805, Gamshurst was under the authority of the Austrian governor of Ortenau.
150 Gamshurst residents immigrated to the United States between 1846 and 1855 because of famine and revolution.
On May 26, 1926, the steeple on St. Nicholas Church was struck by lightning and burned. The bells fell through the ceiling over the choir, bursting on the flagstone floor below. The church was rebuilt and expanded using the plans of Dr. Hirsch of the Council of Ministers in Karlsruhe. The current church mixes the old and new. The church steeple stands on the original 1355 foundation.
Gamshurst lost 62 men during World War II. After the war, the village transformed into an industrial based economy. In the 1960's, there were 220 independent agricultural operations, but by 1990 this had dwindled to only three main enterprises. Most farmers have given up agriculture completely or continue to farm only as a sideline while working in one of the many factories in the area. The community's transformation to a industrial based economy began in earnest in 1965 when the machine factory Kasto & Stopa began operations in the area.
The village of Gamshurst comprised approximately 3,000 acres, which included nearly 300 acres of forest. The population in 1990 was about 1,370.
Gamshurst was incorporated into the city of Achern in 1973 as a result of redistricting.

Information Sources:
Church records for St. Nicholas Church cover the years 1655-1900. Records are very incomplete between 1700 and 1735, and marriages between 1770 and 1786 are missing. A family book (Familienbuch) covers the years 1826-1900. A second family book covering 1879 to 1950 has not been microfilmed. A "Hubgericht" book is also available. It includes miscellaneous genealogical and emigration information about the citizens of Gamshurst.

Links:

Researchers in this area:
TAllgeyer@AOL.com
Surnames: Allgayer (Allgeier), Bachtel, Bell, Bohn, Braun, Bühler, Federle, Harter, Jörger, Kiengle, Koch, Mayer, Renner, Ruschmann, Schell, Schmalz, Schmidt, Schonecker, Strassburger, Volz, and others.
kbartelt@aeroinc.net
Surnames: Schmidt, Ott, Braun

Gegenbach

Geography:
Gengenbach is situated on the Kinzig River in the heart of Ortenaukreis among the vineyards and forests at the entrance to the Kinzig Valley. It is 12km from Offenburg (the county seat), 87 km from Karlsruhe, and 37 km from Strasbourg, France. It's elevation ranges from 175 meters to 875 meters above sea level. The towns of Bermersbach, Reichenbach, and Schwaibach, have been incorporated into the city. Gengenbach has a population of about 11,000.

History:
The city of Gengenbach has a history spanning nearly 1,275 years. The Benedictine Cloister Gengenbach was founded in the year 725. However, Celtic and Roman archeological discoveries show the area was inhabited much earlier.
St. Marien Benedictine Cloister serves as the parish church. The church was built in 1120 as a three aisle basilica in Romanesque style. Although subsequent renovations and additions were done in Gothic and Baroque style, the Romanesque origins of the church remain intact. The Cloister was granted self-government over its territory in 1278, and was secularized in 1803 when Gengenbach was transferred to the authority of the Grand Duke of Baden.
The city of Gengenbach was granted its town chart (Stadtrecht) in 1230. The city was granted status as a free city of the Holy Roman Empire (Freie Reichstadt) in 1360. It was burned in 1689 during war.
The city walls were constructed during the Middle Ages. Portions of the walls still remain as well as some towers (Niggelturm) and gates (Kinzigtor and Haigeracher Tor). The Markplatz (Market Square) is the heart of city. It features the classical Rathaus (city hall) and the market fountain with its stone knight. The Niggelturm now contains the Jesters' Museum. The center of the city has a distinct Middle Age character. Gengenbach has a reputation for the being the "Festspielstadt im Ortenau" (Festival town in Ortenau).
Gengenbach currently has a population of about 11,000. The neighboring towns of Bermersbach, Reichenbach, and Schwaibach have been incorporated into the city. In addition to tourism, Gengenbach has a strong industrial base which manufactures upholstered furniture, paper, and glass.

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Gengenbach Catholic parish is very old. It was a Cloister parish until 1807. Reichenbach (Offenburg) , Schwaibach, and Bermersbach are affiliates of Gengenbach. Earlier Ohlsbach was also affiliate. Nordrach was pastored by Gengenbach 1608-1708. The village of Griesheim was associated with Gengenbach for a time. Part of the village of Wingerbach is part of Gengenbach parish. Reichenbach (Lahr) was also pastored by Gengenbach for a time. Gengenbach Catholic records begin as follows -- baptisms 1587, marriages 1625, and deaths 1614 (with gaps in death records). Records covering 1587-1889, including the villages of Bermersbach, Reichenbach (Offenburg), and Schwaibach, are available through LDS branch family history centers. See Offenburg.

Evangelical parish -- Gengenbach Evangelical parish was established in 1912. Earlier it was part of Offenburg. Until 1858 it was part of Diersburg. Gengenbach Evangelical parish includes the villages of Schwaibach, Strohbach, Ohlsbach, and Reichenbach (Offenburg). Haslach im Kinzigtal was part of the parish until 1925. Zell am Harmersbach was pastored by Gengenbach 1865-1925 and 1935-1950. Gengenbach Evangelical records begin in 1866.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Gengenbach; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Goldscheuer-Marlen (see Marlen)
Grafenhausen (see Kappel-Grafenhausen)
Griesbach (see Peterstal (Bad)-Griesbach)
Griesheim (Offenburg)

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Griesheim Catholic parish was established in 1730. In 1666, Griesheim was an affiliate of Bühl (Offenburg). Beginning in 1686, Griesheim was pastored by priests from Offenburg and then from Gengenbach. Wilstätt is part of Griesheim Catholic parish. Griesheim Catholic records begin as follows -- baptisms 1726 and marriages and deaths 1732. There are gaps in marriage and deaths records 1778-1786. See also Bühl (Offenburg).

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Offenburg; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Grossweier

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Grossweier Catholic parish is old. 1670-1700 Grossweier was an affiliate of Unzhurst (Landkreis Rastaat). The village of Hesselbach (Achern) is part of Grossweier Catholic parish. Grossweier Catholic records begin 1704. See Unzhurst (Landkreis Rastaat) for records prior to 1704.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Achern; Landkreis Bühl
formerly the Baden-Baden district [Amt] of Grossweier (which included the villages of Grossweier, Unzhurst, Breithurst, and Oberwasser)

Links:

Gutach (Schwarzwaldbahn)

Geography:
Gutach is located in southeastern Ortenaukreis. The landscape includes streams and forest. Elevation ranges from 250 meters to 850 meters above sea level. The village is home to the Schwarzwald Freilichtmuseum "Vogtbaurenhof" (Black Forest Open Air Museum), a collection of old farm houses and farm structures from Baden. Gutach has a population of about 2,250.

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical parish -- Gutach Evangelical parish is old. It became Lutheran in 1534. The village of Hohenweg was part of Gutach until 1907, when Hohenweg (also called Hohweg) became part of Hornberg parish. The villages of Haslach im Kinzigtal and Hausach were pastored from Gutach for a time. The village of Kirnbach was part of Gutach Evangelical parish 1643-1649. The village of Wolfach was pastored by Gutach and Kirnbach 1880-1901. Gutach Evangelical records being 1662. There are gaps in marriages 1726-1735 and deaths 1719-1735. The records also include a Kirchenconventsprotokoll 1718-1804, Seelenregister 1744-1850, a family book from 1740, and communions 1737-1866. Records covering 1662-1965, including the village of Hohenweg (also called Hohweg), are available from LDS family history centers.

Catholic sources -- Catholic citizens of Gutach are served by Hornberg Catholic parish. See Hornberg.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Wolfach; Landkreis Wolfach

Links:

Halbmeil

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic sources -- Halbmeil, as part of the Gemeinde (district) of Kinzigtal, was an affiliate of Wolfach. See Wolfach.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Halbmeil was part of the Gemeinde (district) of Kinzigtal which also included the villages of Ippichen, St. Roman, and Langenbach.

Links:

Harmersbach (see Unterharmersbach and Oberharmersbach)
Haslach im Kinzigtal (Wolfach)

Geography:
Haslach im Kinzigtal is located in the Kinzig River Valley in southern Ortenaukreis. Its elevation ranges from 215 meters to 596 meters above sea level. The landscape includes lakes and forests, as well as the Kinzig River. Haslach has a population of under 7,000. The towns of Schnellingen and Bollenbach have been incorporated into the city. Haslach is referred to "Haslach im Kinzigtal" (Haslach in the Kinzig Valley) in order to differentiate it from other cities and towns also named Haslach. The city is 29 km from Offenburg (the county seat), 104 km from Karlsruhe, and 55 km from Freiburg.

History:
Haslach im Kinzigtal can trace its origins to Roman times. The town charter (Stadtrecht) was granted at the end of the 12th century or early in the 13th century. From the 13th century into the 17th century, Haslach was greatly influenced by silver mining.
The Kapuzinerkloster (Capuchin Cloister) was built from 1630 to 1632. The Kapuziner (Capuchin) were strict, reformed Franciscan friars. The cloister has been restored, and currently houses the Black Forest Costume Museum which features period clothing.
St. Arbogast parish church was built in 1780, but the western spire is from an earlier 15th century church.
Haslach was destroyed in 1704. It was transferred to the Grand Duke of Baden in 1803.
The city has a well preserved historic center with many Fachwerk (timbered) houses. The first floor of the Rathaus dates to the 16th century, while the upper floors were added 200 years later. Haslach is the site of the Hansjakob Museum. Heinrich Hansjakob was a well-known priest and folk writer. The museum also features an art exhibit. The memorial graves for the Grafen von Fürstenberg (counts of Fürstenberg) are also located in Haslach.
Area lakes and forests, as well as the historic town center, make Haslach a popular tourist destination.
Haslach has a population of under 7,000. The towns of Schnellingen and Bollenbach have been incorporated into the city.

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Haslach im Kinzigtal Catholic parish is very old. 1534-1632 it was Lutheran. Hofstetten was an affiliate of Haslach i. K. until 1951. Earlier Mühlenbach was also an affiliate and again 1643-1649. Eschau and a small area belonging to Weiler-Fischerbach were attached to Haslach i. K. in 1762. Haslach i. K. Catholic church records begin as follows -- baptisms, marriages, and deaths 1596-1625; baptisms and deaths 1700-1702, baptisms, marriages, and deaths 1706. These records include Hofstetten beginning in 1706. Records covering 1596-1943, including two family books from about 1819 and 1853, are available through LDS family history centers. Church books for Klosterreichenbach (Reichenbach Cloister) in Murgtal records entries March 19 - July 3, 1643 for residents of the Kinzig Valley from Haslach i. K., Fischerbach, Einbach, Schapbach, Schenkenzell (Landkries Rottweil), Harmersbach, Wolfach, and Gaisbach near Oberkirch.

Evangelical sources -- Haslach i. K. and Hausach were formed into one parish in 1935. Hausach served as the headquarters for the parish. Earlier Haslach i. K. was pastored from Gengenbach (until 1925), Gutach, and Hornberg. Zell am Harmersbach was pastored by Haslach i. K. and Hausach 1925-1935. Haslach i. K. Evangelical church books begin in 1898. Records covering 1898-1965 are available through LDS family history centers. See Gengenbach, Gutach, and Hornberg.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Wolfach; Landkreis Wolfach

Links:

Haslach (Oberkirch)

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic affiliate -- Haslach (Oberkirch) is a Catholic affiliate of Ulm (Offenburg). See Ulm (Offenburg).

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Oberkirch; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Hausach

Geography:
The city of Hausach is located in southeastern Ortenaukreis. Elevation ranges from 240 meters to 970 meters above sea level. The landscape includes forest. The ruins of the Burg Husen (Fortress Husen), consisting of a restored tower, are above the city. The parish church features Romanesque frescoes. Hausach has a population of about 5,700.

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Hausach Catholic parish is old. Einbach and Sulzbach (Wolfach) are affiliates of Hausach. Hausach Catholic church records begin 1652 (gaps 1680-1682). Records covering 1651- 1943 are available through LDS family history centers.

Evangelical parish -- Hausach Evangelical parish was formed in 1929. Prior to 1929, Hausach was part of Wolfach Evangelical parish. In 1935, Hausach and Haslach im Kinzigtal were combined to form the parish of Hausach-Haslach i. K. 1850-1900 Hausach was pastored from Gutach. 1901-1929 Hausach was pastored from Wolfach. In 1821, the estates east of Voderen Fischerbach and the village of Waldstein were attached to Hausach parish. Zell am Harmersbach was pastored from Hausach-Haslach i. K. parish 1925-1935. Hausach Evangelical records covering 1898-1961 can be obtained through LDS branch family history centers. See Gutach and Wolfach.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Wolfach; Landkreis Wolfach

Links:

Hausgereut

Geography:

History:
Hausgereut was incorporated into the newly created city of Rheinau January 1, 1975, along with the villages of Diersheim, Freistett, Helmlingen, Holzhausen, Honau, Linx, Memprechtshofen, and Rheinbischofsheim.

Information Sources:
Evangelical sources -- Hausgereut is part of Rheinbischofsheim Evangelical parish. See Rehinbischofsheim

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Kehl; Landkreis Kehl

Links:

Heiligenzell

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Heiligenzell Catholic parish was formed in 1919. Heiligenzell was earlier an affiliate of Friesenheim. Heiligenzell Catholic church records begin in 1845. Records for 1828-1900 are available through LDS family history centers.

Evangelical affiliate -- Heiligenzell is an Evangelical affiliate of Friesenheim. Until 1772, Heiligenzell was with Ichenheim and Kippenheim. See Friesenheim, Ichenheim, and Kippenheim.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Lahr; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Helmlingen

Geography:

History:
Helmlingen was incorporated into the newly created city of Rheinau January 1, 1975, along with the villages of Diersheim, Freistett, Hausgereut, Holzhausen, Honau, Linx, Memprechtshofen, and Rheinbischofsheim.

Information Sources:
Catholic sources -- See Ulm (Landkreis Rastaat). Evangelical affiliate -- Helmlingen is an Evangelical affiliate of Lichtenau (Landkreis Rastaat). Lichtenau Evangelical parish is old. It became Lutheran in 1554. Grauelsbaum (Landkreis Rastaat) and Scherzheim (Landkreis Rastaat) are also affiliates of Lichtenau. Scherzheim was an affiliate until 1746. Lichtenau Catholic records begin as follows -- baptisms and marriage 1565 and deaths 1605. See Lichtenau (Landkreis Rastaat).

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Kehl; Landkreis Kehl

Links:

Herztal

Information Sources:
The village of Herztal is in the parish of Nussbach (Oberkirch). See Nussbach.

Links:

Hesselbach (Achern)

Information Sources:
Hesselbach (Achern) is part of the village of Grossweier. See Grossweier.

Links:

Hesselbach (Oberkirch)

Information Sources:
Hesselbach (Oberkirch) is part of Butschbach. See Butschbach.

Links:

Hesselhurst

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical parish -- Hesselhurst Evangelical parish was established in 1776. Wilstätt was the Mother Church for Hesselhurst, Eckhartsweier, and Hohnhurst. Earlier Hesselhurst was an affiliate of Eckhartsweier. Hesselhurst Evangelical records begin 1765, and include a family book from 1849. See Eckhartsweier.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Kehl; Landkreis Kehl

Links:

Hinterfischerbach

Information Sources:
Hinterfischerbach is part of Weiler-Fischerbach. See Weiler-Fischerbach

Links:

Höfen

Information Sources:
The village of Höfen is part of Schutterwald parish. See Schutterwald

Links:

Hofstetten

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish curate -- Hofstetten is a Catholic parish curate. Until 1951, Hofstetten was an affiliate of Haslach im Kinzigtal. See Haslach im Kinzigtal.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Wolfach; Landkreis Wolfach

Links:

Hofweier

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Hofweier is an old parish. At times, Schutterwald was an affiliate of Hofweier. Hofweier Catholic records begin as follows -- marriages and deaths 1669 and baptisms and a family book 1670. There are a few baptisms entries for 1642-1644.
Evangelical sources -- Hofweier is part of Diersburg Evangelical parish. See Diersburg.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Offenburg; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Hohenberg

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
The hamlet of Hohenberg is part of Durbach. See Durbach

Links:

Hohenrain

Information Sources:
The hamlet of Hohenrain is part of Lautenbach. See Lautenbach

Links:

Hohenweg

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical sources -- Hohenweg is part of the Evangelical parish of Gutach. Earlier it was divided between Hornberg and Gutach as an affiliate. Hohenweg appears in Hornberg Evangelical records until 1821. There is a family book from 1750 back. See Hornberg and Gutach.

Former Political Jurisdiction:

Links:

Hohnhurst

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical sources -- Hohnhurst is an Evangelical affiliate of Eckhartsweier. Wilstätt was the Mother Church for Eckhartsweier, Hohnhurst, and Hesselhurst. See Eckhartsweier.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Kehl; Landkreis Kehl

Links:

Hohweg

Note:
Hohweg is a spelling variation for Hohenweg. See Hohenweg.

Holzhausen

Geography:

History:
Holzhausen was incorporated into the newly created city of Rheinau January 1, 1975, along with the villages of Diersheim, Freistett, Hausgereut, Helmlingen, Honau, Linx, Memprechtshofen, and Rheinbischofsheim.

Information Sources:
Evangelical sources -- Holzhausen is part of Rheinbischofsheim Evangelical parish. Rheinbischofsheim Evangelical records begin 1581. See Rheinbischofsheim.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Kehl; Landkreis Kehl

Links:

Honau

Geography:

History:
Honau was incorporated into the newly created city of Rheinau January 1, 1975, along with the villages of Diersheim, Freistett, Hausgereut, Helmlingen, Holzhausen, Linx, Memprechtshofen, and Rheinbischofsheim.

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Honau is an old Catholic parish. The left Rhine village of Wanzenau (Alsace-Lorraine) and other villages were affiliates of Honau. After the Thirty Years' War Honau parish was placed with Wanzenau parish. Honau was returned to the status of parish in 1730. Rheinbischofsheim, Freistett, and Neufreistett are affiliates of Honau. Honau Catholic records begin in 1730, with many gaps. There is a family book. Earlier records may appear in Wanzenau (Alsace-Lorraine) church registers.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Kehl; Landkreis Kehl

Links:

Hornberg/Schwarzwald

Geography:
Hornberg is located in extreme southeastern Ortenaukreis. It is surrounded by forest. Elevation ranges from 360 meter to 1,000 meters above sea level. The village of Reichenbach has been incorporated into the city. Hornberg has a population of about 4,900.

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical parish -- Hornberg Evangelical parish is very old. It was Wuerttemburgish with Gutach, Kirnbach, and the Hornberger portions of Peterzell (Landkreis Rottweil) and Tennenbronn (Landkreis Rottweil) until 1810. Reichenbach (Triberg), along with Schwanenbach, is and affiliate of Hornberg. A portion of Hohenweg was an affiliate earlier. Haslach im Kinzigtal was pastored from Hornberg at times. Hornberg Evangelical church records begin in 1635, and include a family books.
Catholic parish -- Hornberg Catholic parish was established in 1905. Reichenbach and Gutach are affiliates. Hornberg Catholic church records begin in 1882

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Wolfach; Landkreis Wolfach

Links:

Hugsweier

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical parish -- Hugsweier Evangelical parish is very old. It became Lutheran in 1545. Hugsweier was pastored from neighboring villages 1636-1639 and 1676-1679. Hugsweier Evangelical church records begin as follows -- baptisms 1652, deaths 1658, and marriage 1660. Deaths and baptisms are rewritten from older registers, and appear in an orderly manner after 1786. There is a family book from 1652-1870, which was prepared from the church books in 1870.
Catholic sources -- Hugsweier is part of Lahr-Dinglingen Catholic parish. See Lahr.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Lahr; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Important Addresses:

LDS Archives for all of Germany
Kirche Jesu Christi der HLT
Abteilung Genealogie
Max - Planck - Str 239
61381 Friedrichsdorf

General Land Archives
Generallandesarchiv Karlsruhe
Nördliche Hildapromenade 2
76133 Karlsruhe


Post your information on this region here. Help us to help you and your fellow researchers. For more information direct your Inquiries to...
Email