Black Forest Genealogy

Landkreis Rottweil

 

Search For Villages in Landkreis Rottweil

The communities are listed alphabetically and can be accessed by selecting the correct letter below.

A B C D E
F G H I J
K L M N O
P Q R S T
U V W Y Z

Aichhalden

Geography:

Postal Code: 78733

History:

Information Sources:

Links: Aichhalden

Aistaig

Geography:

Postal Code: 78727

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Beffendorf

Geography:

Postal Code: 78727

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Bochingen

Geography:

Postal Code: 78727

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Böhringen

Geography:

Postal Code: 78661

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Boll

Geography:

Postal Code: 78727

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Bösingen

Geography:

Postal Code: 78662

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Büchenbronn

Geography:

Postal Code: 73061

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Bühlingen

Geography:

Postal Code:

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Deißlingen

Geography:

Postal Code: 78652

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Dietingen

Geography:

Postal Code: 78661

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Dornhan

Geography:

Postal Code: 72175

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Dunningen

Geography:

Postal Code: 78655

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Epfendorf

Geography:

Postal Code: 78736

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Eschbronn

Geography:

Postal Code: 78664

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Fluorn-Winzeln

Geography:

Postal Code: 78737

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Göllsdorf

Geography:

Postal Code: 78628

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Gösslingen

Geography:

Postal Code: 78661

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Hardt

Geography:

Postal Code: 78739

History:

Information Sources:

Links:Hardt

Harthausen

Geography:

Postal Code: 78727

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Hausen ob Rottweil

Geography:

Postal Code: 78628

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Herrenzimmern

Geography:

Postal Code: 78622

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Hochmössingen

Geography:

Postal Code: 78727

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Horgen

Geography:

Postal Code: 78658

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Irslingen

Geography:

Postal Code: 78661

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Lackendorf

Geography:

Postal Code: 78655

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Lauterbaach

Geography:

Postal Code: 78727

History:

Information Sources:

Links:Lauterbach

Locherhof

Geography:

Postal Code: 78664

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Neufra

Geography:

Postal Code: 78628

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Neukirch

Geography:
Neukirch is located northeast of Rottweil, the county seat of Landkreis Rottweil. The village is on the edge of the Swabian Alb, and is surrounded by forest and meadows.

Postal Code: 78628

History:
The village of Neukirch has a population of about 500 people. Its red-roofed white and pastel stucco homes, as well as the church tower, make Neukirch a charming village. This area of the Swabian Alb is dotted with small villages among the forests and meadows.

Neukirch consists of about 582 hectares in area, most of which is still in agricultural use. However, the number of farmers has been greatly reduced in this century.

In 1831, Neukirch purchased the property comprising nearby Vaihingerhof from the Württemberg government for 50,000 Gulden. Vaihingerhof was administered by Rottenmunster Cloister until 1802, when the Kingdom of Württemberg secularized church property. The government continued ownership of the property, collecting the rents from the leaseholders (Pächter) of the property, until it became unprofitable and sold. Neukirch purchased the property in order to provide more land for its own citizens.

There are two pilgrimage chapels within Neukirch's boundaries. St. Maria of the Thann Chapel was built in 1763, and is located in the forest. Sebastian Chapel was built in 1682, and is located east of the village.

St. Peter and Paul is Neukirch's parish church. The church was given to the village by Rottenmunster Cloister in the 12th century. It was rebuilt in 1737, using the stone tower and sacristy which date to the 15th century.

In 1994, tragedy struck the village when St. Peter and Paul burned after a worker left a torch on the roof during renovations. Villagers rushed to the church in response to the fire alarm, but Neukirch did not have the water reserves to fight such a large fire. Before the roof caved in, villagers managed to remove many valuable works of art from the church. An historic statue of the Madonna and Child was chained to a wall for security reasons, but the key was kept in the sacristy which was engulfed in flames. The statue suffered major damage. The paintings on the ceiling of church were lost forever.

The 15th century walls of the church, including the tower, were determined to be structurally sound after the fire, and they form the base for the new church. The village now has a reservoir for fire fighting purposes.

Neukirch has a school for grades kindergarten through 4th. After 4th grade, children attend school in Göllsdorf and Rottweil.

The village also has a sports complex, grocery store, post office, a large gift and housewares shop, and the inn "Gasthof zur Rose". An old school building serves as the village's Rathaus. It also houses fire department equipment and a room used by the local music club. A small, private airport is located between Neukirch and Zepfenhan.

About 40 new homes have been built in the "Holy Meadow" area of Neukirch since 1980. Strict local building codes must be adhered to when building or renovating in order to preserve the character of the village.

Information Sources:
1663 through 1915 are available through LDS family history centers. These records contain some records through the 1960's. The records also contain the village of Vaihingerhof.

"Beschreibung der Oberamts Rottweil", 1875 (Stuttgart), German language only

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Neukirch and the neighboring villages of Vaihingerhof, and Zepfenhan were incorporated into the city of Rottweil in the early 1970's

Emigrant Surnames:
Bippuss, Gaiss, Geiger, Grimm, Mey, Mueller, Zeiser

Links:
sbiedron@starnetusa.net

Oberndorf am Neckar

Geography:

Postal Code: 78727

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Peterzell

Geography:

Postal Code: 78112

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Reutin

Geography:

Postal Code: 72275

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Römlinsdorf

Geography:

Postal Code: 72275

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Rötenberg

Geography:

Postal Code: 78733

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Rottweil

Geography:

Postal Code: 78628

History:

Information Sources:

Links:Rottweil

Schenkenzell

Geography:

Postal Code: 77773

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Schiltach

Geography:

Postal Code: 77761

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Schönbronn

Geography:

Postal Code: 72218

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Schramberg

Geography:

Postal Code: 78713

History:

Information Sources:

Links:Schramberg

Schwenningen am Necktar

Geography:

Postal Code: 78065

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Seedorf

Geography:

Postal Code: 78655

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Stetten ob Rottweil

Geography:

Postal Code: 78658

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Sulz am Neckar

Geography:

Postal Code: 72172

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Tennenbronn

Geography:

Postal Code: 78144

History:

Information Sources:

Links:Tennenbronn

Trichtingen

Geography:

Postal Code: 78736

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Villingendorf

Geography:

Postal Code: 78667

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Vaihingerhof

Geography:
Vaihingerhof is located northeast of Rottweil, county seat of Landkreis Rottweil. The village is situated on the edge of the Swabian Alb, and is surrounded by forest and meadows.

Postal Code:

History:
The Celts were the first settlers in the area now called Vaihingerhof Woods near the village of Vaihingerhof. In 74 A.D., the Romans settled the area, but were driven out by Alemannen or Swabian tribes around 260 A.D. The Celts are believed to have remained in the area as servants to the Alemannen. Many Celtic customs remain visible in the village to this day. The neighboring villages of Neukirch, Zepfenhan, and Zimmern unter den Burg were all Alemannen land acquisitions.

In 1832, graves were discovered between the edge of the Vaihingerhof and the site of the present day chapel. The graves were dated to 600 or 700 A.D., indicating Christianity had been established in the area by that time. Burying the dead was a Christian practice.

A document from 1262 refers to Vaihingerhof as "Vogingen", an estate property administered by Rottenmunster Cloister, but owned by the Earldom of the Court of Zollern Hohenberg. After 1262, various leaseholding farmers (Pächter) settled the Vaihingerhof area. The village's historic sheep barn was built sometime after 1471. Often more than 500 sheep were sheltered in the barn during cold winters. On December 15, 1813, 140 Russian riders and their horses were quartered in the sheep barn. The sheep were driven out into the cold for three days, resulting in 840 Gulden in damages.

At the end of 1802, the Kingdom of Württemberg secularized church holdings, including the property of Rottenmunster Cloister. The leaseholding farmers (Pächter) had to pay higher rents to the government, making times more difficult. By 1830, the property became unprofitable, and the government sold it for 50,000 Gulden. The village of Neukirch purchased Vaihingerhof in order to provide more land for its own citizens.

The historic sheep barn is now a recreational facility for handicapped children. When not in use, the building can be rented for private parties.

Vaihingerhof is also home to the Gasthaus "Zur Linde" and the Vaihingerhof Chapel which was built in 1888. The chapel is used only three times each for year for special events.

Vaihingerhof has a population of about 90. Residents attend church and school in Neukirch.

Information Sources:
Catholic records -- Vaihingerhof is part of Neukirch parish. Records for Neukirch covering 1663 to 1915 are available thourgh LDS family history centers. They records include some entries through the 1960's. After 1831, there is a section of the family pages set aside for Vaihingerhof.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Vaihingerhof was administered by Rottenmunster Cloister until 1802. The Kingdom of Württemberg then took possession of the property. It was sold to the village of Neukirch in 1830. As part of Neukirch, Vaihingerhof was incorporated into Rottweil in the early 1970's.

Emigrant Surnames:
Bippuss, Hirt, Hummel, Jackel, Keller, Schneider, Zeiser

Links:
sbiedron@starnetusa.net

Vöhringen

Geography:

Postal Code: 72189

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Waldmössingen

Geography:

Postal Code: 78713

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Weigheim

Geography:

Postal Code: 78056

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Wellendingen

Geography:

Postal Code: 78669

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Winzeln

Geography:

Postal Code: 78737

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Zepfenhan

Geography:

Postal Code: 78628

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Zimmern ob Rottweil

Geography:

Postal Code: 78658

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

 

Important Addresses:

LDS Archives for all of Germany
Kirche Jesu Christi der HLT
Abteilung Genealogie
Max - Planck - Str 239
61381 Friedrichsdorf

General Land Archives
Generallandesarchiv Karlsruhe
Nördliche Hildapromenade 2
76133 Karlsruhe


Post your information on this region here. Help us to help you and your fellow researchers. For more information direct your Inquiries to...
Email